Thursday 18 September 2014
Home / News / City flyovers are not a dead end

COME 2013, students from the University of Cape Town will line up proposals to complete the unfinished highway on the city’s foreshore.

The Engineering and Built Environment Faculty at UCT has been assigned the task by the City of Cape Town.

The Dean at UCT, Professor Francis Petersen, is excited at the prospect of having the students propose ideas for the flyovers.

“It is an opportunity for UCT to strengthen their relationship with the City,” he says.

A proposal to enter into a partnership with UCT was approved by the Portfolio Committee for Transport, Roads and Stormwater and will be submitted to a full council for approval.

The plan is to start the proposal project in early 2013 and will run for most of the year, until November.

Petersen says: “The request by the City will allow these students to work in teams on a real-life question.”

Councillor Brett Herron, Mayoral Committee member for Transport, Roads and Stormwater for the City, says: “I am very excited about this project. Shortly after I was appointed, I requested the department to start working on a way forward for the unfinished freeways.”

The freeway flyovers are believed to have remained incomplete for around 40 years and according to Herron, it seems unlikely that they will be completed as freeways.

He says: “If that proves to be true, then it presents us with many exciting, innovative opportunities to add value to our city and to our CBD.”

The partnership will be officially launched on Thursday 18 October, as part of Transport Month, and will form part of the students’ curriculum for the 2013 academic year, with a report back to the City due by August 2013.

UCT students will be asked to review and consider existing proposed conceptual design reports of the incomplete sections of the freeway. They will then draft innovative design proposals for the incomplete sections of the freeway.

The research will cover the economical, technical, structural and design viability and integrity of the potential completion of the highway.

The investment and developmental potential and infrastructure capacity, as well as financial modelling for a turnkey investment.

Recognition for outstanding achievement will be awarded to the students with the most innovative and integrated design concept produced, with their work being displayed permanently on the cityscape.

Herron says: “I would like to encourage all residents to engage with this process as it unfolds, because this is potentially one of the most exciting urban design, engineering and public space project we will see in our lifetime.”

“The incomplete structures provide a unique opportunity for young, innovative, intelligent minds to shape the future of our cityscape.”

COMMENTS 

top
OUR LATEST ISSUE

top
bottom